the quota question ... one user with >2 TB owned files (but no quota set)

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Jul 11 14:53:23 UTC 2008

Juri Mianovich wrote:

[...]

> I haven't heard anything - which is not surprising, since it doesn't sound like many people are using quotas these days.
>
> Does anyone have any general thoughts as to whether this will be dangerous or not ?  I know (I assume) that repquota output for my root and www users will be broken, and that's fine - I just want to make sure that as soon as one user goes over 2TB of owned files the filesystem doesn't trash itself.
>
> Can the quota subsystem failing in some way cause data loss / filesystem inconsistencies ?

I think there are not so many users running similar configuration, it
means not much experiences. But you can try your own test easily. Just
install some test machine and try it with large sparse files
(something like dd if=/dev/zero of=sparse-file bs=1 count=1 seek=1024k
for 1M sparse file)

Miroslav Lachman