Storing UFS snapshots externally?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 10 20:05:03 UTC 2008

Daniel E. Lynn wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> First, let me apologize if this has been asked before. If it has then my
> search skills must be lacking because I couldn't seem to find it in the
> lists anywhere.
>
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to store snapshots for UFS on a separate
> drive, and if so if there is an advisable way of doing it. The basic
> idea is that I'd like to be able to mitigate any write overhead of using
> a lot of snapshots by using a separate disk for them entirely. Here's
> the proposed setup:
>
> FreeBSD (/) is on ad0
> Homedirs and userdata (/data) is on gm0 (ad2+ad3 mirrored)
>
> I've been successfully using snapshots for /data, and the overhead on
> this system doesn't seem too bad (yet) but if I have more than a dozen
> snapshots, I get the feeling it could get messy. It'd be great if I
> could store the snapshots for /data on / someplace.

UFS snapshots don't copy the data into the "snapshot" file - they just
adjust internal references in the file system. The big file you get when
you create the snapshot isn't really a file in the traditional sense -
it consists of file system internal pointers to real data. Simplified,
when data gets changed on the "real" file system, *then* the old data
gets a separate copy in the snapshot.

In short, there's no way other than manually copying (dd, tar) the data
from the snapshot to wherever.