Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 06:42:06 UTC 2008

I administer a handful of servers - both for work and for my side
business. Right now I am rsyncing /home each server back each night
from the server to my own machine at home.

I'd like to add in snapshots, so I want to sanity check here - I
wouldn't be doing much more than:

- creating a separate zfs filesystem for each server
- creating a nightly snapshot after the rsync finishes

Since I cannot change the filesystems on the remote machines now (and
all run Linux anyway), this essentially gives me the ability to have
daily snapshots of each machine at my fingertips should I need it -
correct?

Just wanted to sanity check here before investing some money and time
into this solution...

Also if anyone wants to reply to me off list with hardware that works
well for FBSD 7 + ZFS I'd be grateful :)

Thanks in advance.