Coda on FreeBSD problem reports?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 24 03:54:54 PST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> I was looking at the NetBSD Coda parts over the weekend, but it seemed that
>> most of the bugs in the FreeBSD code were due to gradual rot as VFS evolved
>> and our Coda module source didn't remain code up.
>
> I see a lot of CODA patches merged to RELENG_7_0 - can you write up a short
> overview of what is it's current state in FreeBSD - what works and what
> doesn't?

Previously Coda in 7.0 would likely panic on trivial use.  Now it seems to
frequently work on non-trivial use.  I do not consider the FreeBSD Coda kernel
module productionable in its current state in that it was largely useless on
7.0 prior to three or four days ago, which means that it's only had 2-3 days
of testing in its more usable state.  :-)  I'd like to think that a reasonable
goal for 7.1 would be to have Coda no less production-worthy than it is on
Linux, the primary development platform for Coda, and to make significant
progress on resolving the AFS situation (which will be something to write home
about).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge