ZFS i/o errors - which disk is the problem?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 3 09:18:31 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:10:06AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Peter Schuller wrote:
>>> I can believe a problematic SATA controller (it's an add-on PCI board),
>>> but does anyone know of a way to ask ZFS which devices in a pool it
>>> thinks has issues?
>> That is exactly what zpool status is intended to tell you. That is, the
>> disks that you are seeing checksum errors on are the ones seeing the
>> faults. In your case both drives show checksum errors (for some reason).
>
> Yea, I suspect it's the cheesy SATA controller I stuck in the system.  I
> suppose I will rebuild my NFS server with different hardware :(

We've definitely seen cases where hardware changes fixed ZFS checksum errors.
In once case, a firmware upgrade on the raid controller fixed it.  In another
case, we'd been connecting to an external array with a SCSI card that didn't
have a PCI bracket and the errors went away when the replacement one arrived
and was installed.  The fact that there were significant errors caught by ZFS
was quite disturbing since we wouldn't have found them with UFS.

-- Brooks