moving slots with a 3ware raid controller ... danger ?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Jan 3 08:51:21 PST 2008

Gore Jarold wrote:
> I am running a 3ware 9650SE-16ML on FreeBSD
> 6.1-RELEASE.
>
> I think that the card is in a 4x PCI-E slot, and I
> think that is causing my system to crash periodically
> under very high IO load.

Can't help ya if you don't say what the crash is.

> I am planning on moving the card from the 4X slot to
> an 8x slot, which is the speed recommended for it.

If this is what 3ware actually recommends, I'd find it
highly amusing, not mention highly unlikely that they have
a controller that can actually push more that 1GB/sec of
disk bandwidth, even if it had 16 disks hooked up to it.

> Before I do this, I would like a sanity check - is
> there ANY reason that moving slots with this card
> would be dangerous ?  Will FreeBSD care that the card
> comes in on a new slot ?

No

>  Will the card ?

I'd certainly hope not.

>  The arrays?

I'd personally ask my my money back from 3ware if they did.

Scott