How to take down a system to the point of requiring a newfs with one line of C (userland)

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Mon Feb 18 18:13:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:14:30AM -0600, Daniel Corrigan wrote:
> Since this was released to a public mailing list, I can only assume
> some less than nice user will attempt this.  The only top level file
> system I have that can be written to by normal users is /tmp
>
> Should clear_tmp_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf prevent this from
> causing harm?

Probably not.  But an inode quota might, if your users can deal with
having less than 10000 inodes - (what is supposed to be in the root of
such file systems).  It would at least make it more difficult for one
rogue user to hurt you.

Perhaps an /usr/local/etc/rc.d script could look for problems such as
this in the stop process.  Or one could simply remount the /tmp disk to
/data and make a symlink from /tmp to /data/tmp.

It seems like there should be several possible workarounds.

lambert at lambertfam.org