How to take down a system to the point of requiring a newfs with one line of C (userland)

Steve Roome steve at pepcross.com
Mon Feb 18 16:30:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 08:13:19AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I would agree with Mark and Jim, this is a serious issue for enterprise
>> servers. Yet another example where I would have wanted to see a more
>> supportive response from the FreeBSD project members, like Robert Watson
>> just did. This would benefit keeping a good relation with the business
>> users.
>
> The responses from Dag-Erling was pretty much what I'd expect to see on
> a linux mailing list.  Hopefully this filesystem issue gets some
> attention.

Scott... err... so that's praise for des ? ;)

Still, instead of being too disctracted by "social issues". Does
anyone know if creating lots of files at the root breaks UFS2 without
softupdates enabled and does this same thing affect any other
filesystems ?

As to the social bit...

We ought to have something in the list faq and charter about how you
should expect at least one "odd" comment from someone every time you
post to the list.

Besides, this is all "publicity" (as in, "no such thing as bad
publicity") for the original issue and the more noise the more folks
will see it and so on. Maybe des just did FreeBSD a huge favour by
making more people follow the list, worry about it, test it and be
sure it's fixed in the future ?

        Steve Roome

P.S. Personally I thought des' response was hilarious! But I say that
with the greatest amount of respect for the original posters brilliant
problem description.