[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Csaba Henk csaba-ml at creo.hu
Thu Feb 14 10:17:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:23:10PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> My implicit assumption was that it would be much harder to maintain a
> FUSE library in ports, since it is so tightly bound to the FUSE kernel
> module.

So then, just to clean up more implicit principles: also you mean that
LGPL'd code can't go to the base system unless absolutely necessary? If
yes, why so? FreeBSD has embraced recently a big chunk of CDDL'd code
without making much fuss about licensing, and for practical purposes, I
don't see much difference between CDDL and LGPL (altough the latter is
worded undisputedly sickly :)).

Regarding your assumption: I think it's not true. The only thing that
the lib and the module have in common is the header fuse_kernel.h which
defines the data structures and constants used in the kernel/userspace
protocol. This protocol is versioned and the kernel and the daemon
negotiate the highest proto version supported by both parties and shall
communicate according to that.

Csaba