[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:02:54 UTC 2008

On 2/8/08, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
>  >
>  > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
>  >
>  >>> - Are you interested in maintaining it?
>  >>
>  >> Yes.  If you can throw the buglist for NTFS on me, I will be very
>  >> grateful.
>  >
>  > Sign the man up :-).
>

> Sounds good to me. I've posted on -current several times since
>  December with crash dumps, etc. I think the problem at this point is
>  that we don't know what the bugs are, or else I suspect at least some
>  of them would be fixed already.

I believe I have solved the panics with the NTFS filesystem by porting
the NetBSD lockmgr -> mutex locking changes to our NTFS filesystem
implementation.

The locking changes are available in PR 120483

I have also submitted a style change PR which will allow us to easily
compare the NetBSD implementation to our NTFS implementation in PR
120482:

After the locking patch and style patch have been applied, all that is
left is to review the remaining changes between the FreeBSD and NetBSD
NTFS code to see if we should port additional fixes from NetBSD.

Scot