[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 7 14:18:21 UTC 2008

* Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> [080207 06:13] wrote:
> 2008/2/7, Andre Oppermann <andre at freebsd.org>:
> > Eric Anderson wrote:
> > > I think Alfred's point is really interesting.  How many people that
> > > don't use it that say 'axe it' does it take to override 1 person saying
> > > 'keep it!'?
> >
> > The real question is how many people does it take to say 'I'll maintain
> > it'?  Just one.  Without it, it will only bitrot as evidenced by Attilios
> > question.  NTFS is currently broken, just not as obvious because WITNESS
> > didn't track and enforce lockmgr locks.
>
> Andre catched exactly my point.
> The big problem is that we have a list of several unmaintained fs.
> NTFS is in this list. The support is not reliable, it is only
> available in read mode and eventually bugged.
> I'm not sure I want to keep this if nobody wants to maintain it.

All I'm saying is that I think this is a bit premature considering
the users.  Within less than 24hrs we've had a few users reporting
in as users, I'm sure the fixes (now that we have some good assertions)
are going to be trivial.

Why not let it ferment/rot for a release cycle and then see what
the story is?

thanks,
--
- Alfred Perlstein