[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:49:38 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 1:00 AM, Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:
> As exposed by several users, NTFS seems to be broken even before first
> VFS commits happeing around the end of December. Those commits exposed
> some problems about NTFS which are currently under investigation.
> Ultimately, This filesystem is also unmaintained at the moment.
>
> Speaking with jeff, we agreed on what can be a possible compromise:
> remove the kernel support for NTFS and maybe take care of the FUSE
> implementation.
> What I now propose is a small survey which can shade a light on us
> about what do you think about this idea and its implications:
> - Do you use NTFS?

Yes. Important in a dual booting enviroment.

> - Are you interested in maintaining it?

I would If I had the needed knowledge in FS and Kernel. I only have
availability to offer.

> - Do you know a good reason to not use FUSE ntfs implementation? What
> the kernel counter part adds?

Yes: Speed.
A year ago when building my zfs box I had to migrate 500GB of data off
NTFS. FUSE ntfs is WAY slow. I didn't do a proper benchmark then but I
could setup something now if interest arises.
I didn't have any problems like those being reported with CURRENT from
April 2007 if I recall the date correctly when I copied all that data.

> - Do you think axing the kernel support a good idea?

Yes if...

Yes if FUSE ntfs can have performance on par with the current ntfs support.
Yes if FUSE ntfs license model doesn't become an issue.
Yes because FUSE ntfs write support is neat =)

--
Joao Barros