[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:04:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 9:18 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > Maybe a nicer way of saying/asking would be to ask:
> >
> > Is the FUSE replacement going to be tested to the point where it's
> > better than then current NTFS code?
>
> Given that the current NTFS code in the base panics within minutes of
> any kind of serious access, and has the ability to take the other
> filesystems down with it (including UFS2) that won't be hard.

Please keep in mind, that the current FUSE port to FreeBSD is lagging
behind and I can reproducibly panic -CURRENT using fuse-ntfs, too.

Nevertheless, I think FUSE is the way to go. Perhaps someone could
port the NetBSD interface for it to FreeBSD, so we can ship a kernel
with FUSE preinstalled (sans GPL).

Cheers,
Uli