Forcing full file read in ZFS even when checksum error encountered

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Tue Feb 5 19:01:48 UTC 2008

Brooks Davis wrote:
> We've also experienced several situations were zfs was detecting
> corruption caused by bad cabling or bad controller firmware so SMART had
> nothing to report.

Were the errors sporadic/intermittent?  I'd think that if it was cabling, the
checksum error could happen some times and not others.  Mine seems to be
predictable and always there...  Also, no error was reported when the file was
written, and I think ZFS checks after writing.  Strange.  This is one reason
why I'm very curious which bits are bad.

	-Joe