ZFS: invalid label -- what is expected? (solved)

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 5 14:23:59 UTC 2008

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> I've been toying with the idea of writing a gnop-like geom that allows a
> disk to be referenced by its serial number if the underlying driver is
> able to supply it.  That would bypass glabel's disk-shrinking issue when
> working on whole disks.

I agree with the idea, but why not extend glabel instead? It's already
in GENERIC and I would (as an end-user) expect to find the support for
this mode of usage in it :)

This could lead to "interesting" situations - where a drive/slice has a
UFS label, a disk ID label and (if pushed...) a "native glabel" label.