NFS locking problems with 7.0-RELEASE

Bryan Alves bryanalves at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 05:09:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Rong-en Fan <grafan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Bryan Alves <bryanalves at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running a FreeBSD Server (7.0-RELEASE, latest patchlevel, problem has
> > existed on previous patchlevels).  Running an NFS server, with statd and
> > lockd.  Client is an Ubuntu 8.10 machine.  Of note is that the FreeBSD
> > server (in a home environment) is also running PF and doing the packet
> > filtering for the house.
> >
> > When I export my home directory and mount it on my linux client, I run
> into
> > all sorts of problems with file locking.  The biggest problem is the
> > inability to run firefox.  When stracing an execution of firefox,
> execution
> > hangs when opening it's .parentlock file for F_GETLK.  I also notice
> > messages in /var/log/messages on the client on occasion:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I realize that the linux NFS client implementation isn't spectacular, but
> > the same ubuntu setup works when connected to a netapp, which leads me to
> > believe that the problem is with the freebsd nfs server implementation.
> >
> > If anyone can suggest some additional troubleshooting steps to provide
> some
> > more information, or propose some suggested solutions, it would be
> > appreciated.
>
> You may want to upgrade to latest RELENG_7 and use
> the rewrote lockd in kernel space (w/ NFS_LOCKD in your
> kernel configuration).
>
> Regards,
> Rong-En Fan

Where can I find more information about in kernel NFS_LOCKD?  It doesn't
seem to exist on google at all, and I'm hesistant to upgrade from RELEASE
without doing due dilligence in terms of research.

Is rpc.lockd_enable still required in rc.conf when using this?

Do I need to do anything else besides update to RELENG_7 and
installworld/installkernel with this new option?