NFS locking problems with 7.0-RELEASE

Bryan Alves bryanalves at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 20:46:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Bryan Alves wrote:
>
> [stuff snipped]
>
>> When I export my home directory and mount it on my linux client, I run
>> into
>> all sorts of problems with file locking.  The biggest problem is the
>> inability to run firefox.  When stracing an execution of firefox,
>> execution
>> hangs when opening it's .parentlock file for F_GETLK.  I also notice
>> messages in /var/log/messages on the client on occasion:
>>
>>  I can't help w.r.t. getting the NKM to work (I've always thought that the
> NLM protocol was a crock and avoided using it). But, here's a couple of
> things you could try to avoid using the NLM.
>
> - Do the Linux mount with the "nolock" option. (If Ubuntu has a
>  "locallock" option, that would be even better, but I'm not sure what
>  options recent Linux's have for nfs mounts.)
>
> - Download my server patches (ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4/FreeBSD7) and
>  switch to using nfsv4, which has integral locking in the protocol.
>
> Have a good holiday, rick

Is there another location where I can get the nfs4 patches?  That FTP seems
to be down.

Also, outside the scope of this list, but since the discussion is opened, I
might as well ask:

If this NFS is the only remote mount that involves writing (it's opened
read-only in other locations), and it's read/write locally, is it safe to
use local locking?

--Bryan