Headers files included by vnode.h

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Mon Dec 22 10:16:55 PST 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:58:58 -0600
"Gerry Weaver" <gerryw at compvia.com> wrote:

> From: Gary Jennejohn [mailto:gary.jennejohn at freenet.de]
>
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:59:54 -0600
>   "Gerry Weaver" <gerryw at compvia.com> wrote:
>
>   > Hello All,
>   >
>   > I hope this is the right place to post this.
>   >
>   > I've noticed that there are several header files included by /usr/include/sys/vnode.h that are not present in the directory. Are these files supposed to be there? If not, what is the proper include path to use when including vnode.h? They only appear in the source tree on my system.
>   >
>   > FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE
>   >
>   > vnode_if.h
>   > vnode_if_newproto.h
>   > vnode_if_typedef.h
>   >

>   These files (among others) are dynamically generated when you make a
>   kernel.  See /sys/kern/vnode_if.src and /sys/tools/vnode_if.awk.
>
> Shouldn't these headers be installed/linked as part of the kernel make
> install process then? It seems odd to use an include path to the kernel
> source tree.

Please don't top post and try to wrap your lines.

Because these files are dynamically generated it makes no sense to
install them.  There are quite a few files like these which are used
during the kernel generation process to dynamically create include
files.  This allows greater flexibility.

---
Gary Jennejohn