Booting from ZFS raidz

Arnaud Houdelette arnaud.houdelette at tzim.net
Mon Dec 22 02:30:01 PST 2008

As I'm fairly interrested in this kind of setup, I set up a virtual
machine (VirtualBox) with 3 HD.
Sources are from a fresh current (csup yesterday). Applied your patch
successfully.

Done a make installworld / installkernel  to the zfs root.
Applied the bootcode as Stephan.

The seem's the loader gets loaded, but it cant proceed further.
I got those kind of errors :

ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS object directory
Can't find root filesystem - giving up

Then I get to the loader prompt.

ls give same errors.

show lists (partial) :
currdev=zfs0
loaddev=disk1a

lsdev lists :
cd devices:
disk devices :
    disk0:   BIOS drive A:
    disk1:   BIOS drive C:
       disk1p1:   FreeBSD boot
       disk1p2:   FreeBSD swap
       disk1p3:   FreeBSD ZFS
pxe devices:
zfs devices:
    zfs0:   ztboot

ztboot is the name of my pool. but other physical disks aren't shown...

Seem's the loader can't read the ZFS raidz pool.
The loader as been built with LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT option on /etc/make.conf
Anything I could get wrong ?

Arnaud Houdelette