ZFS performance gains real or imaginary?

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 09:30:29 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:57 AM, James R. Van Artsdalen <
james-freebsd-fs2 at jrv.org> wrote:

> There's also the issue of cost: once SATA port multiplier support works
> in FreeBSD it will be very practical to build cheap ~15TB servers for a
> small business using ZFS.

It's certainly not bad already.  There are consumer cases that will take 15
to 18 hard drives internally.  There are motherboards with 6 or 8 SATA
ports.  And there are simple SATA cards that are cheap enough these days.  I
think I got a 4 port for $40 for my machine.  I see "buy it now"'s for 8
port cards around $100 on eBay.

16 ports * 1T drives is ~15TB.  Make it 1.5T drives and RAID-Z2 and you have
more protection and a bit more space.