ZFS performance gains real or imaginary?

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Thu Dec 18 16:13:03 PST 2008

 > Did I miss some major ZFS performance enhancements?

ZFS under 7 is almost completely useless, since I can make it crash
reliably by running "rsync", there's not alot of point talking about its
speed!

  Would changes committed since mid-August (when I
> built my last ZFS servers from -HEAD + the patch) and now explain this?

Yes.

> If so, then I really should be upgrading my production ZFS servers to
> the latest -HEAD.

Thats correct, that is the only way to get the best working version of
ZFS.  Of course, then everything is unstable and broken - eg. SMBFS
became unusable for me and would crash the server.

. ZFS
> compression is effectively getting me 1/3 more disk space off my 1.5TB
> disks

You should try gzip-9 compression mode, it saves almost that much space
again all over :-)

- Andrew