ext2fuse: user-space ext2 implementation

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Dec 13 16:15:30 PST 2008

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
>> Can you please relay this feedback to the authors of ext2fuse?
>>
>> As mentioned earlier in the thread, the ext2fuse code could benefit from
>> UBLIO-ization. Are you or any other volunteers happy to help out here?
>>

> Well, first higher priority would be to fix existing bugs. It would be
> very little
> gain with user cache, because it is already too much IMHO slow and
> adding user cache
> will not make it faster, but that is not port problem.

I'm not aware of bugs with ext2fuse itself; my work on the port was
merely to try to raise awareness that a user-space project for ext2
filesystem access existed.

Can you elaborate further on your experience with ext2fuse which seems
to you to be buggy, i.e. symptoms, root cause analysis etc. ? Have you
reported these to the author(s)?

Have you measured the performance? Is the performance sufficient for the
needs of an occasional desktop user?

I realise we are largely involved in content-free argument here, however
the trade-off of ext2fuse vs ext2fs in the FreeBSD kernel source tree,
is that of a hopefully more actively maintained implementation vs one
which is not maintained at all, and any alternatives for FreeBSD users
would be welcome.

thanks
BMS