ZFS resize disk vdev

Bryan Alves bryanalves at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:22:53 PST 2008

I'm thinking about using a hardware raid array with ZFS, using a single disk
vdev zpool.  I want the ability to add/remove disks to an array, and I'm
still unsure of the stability of zfs as a whole.  I'm looking for an easy
way to resize and manage disks that are greater than 2 terabytes.

If I have a single block device, /dev/da0, on my system that is represented
by a zfs disk vdev, and the size of this block device grows (because the
underlying hardware raid expands), will zfs correctly expand?  And will it
correctly expand in place?