Sector size of 4096 bytes (not 512)

Sten Daniel Soersdal netslists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 06:48:07 UTC 2008

Does anyone know if i might run into any surprises if my hdd has 4096
byte sized sectors and not the regular 512, it is low-level formatted
that way.
I want to run a regular FreeBSD (v7) installation on it for a machine
that goes into production relatively soon after that.
I tried Googling but i have trouble finding definitive answers.
I have noticed on the many lists that people writing device drivers and
filesystem utils often assume it's 512B in size.
My (lack of) confidence in my own understanding of the filesystem code
makes me uncertain. (I looked in src/sys/boot and src/sys/ufs).

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal