ZFS Advice

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Aug 8 22:27:13 UTC 2008

> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-L8i.cfm
>
> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/standard_product_ics/sas_ics/
>lsisas1068e/index.html
>
> Not much onboard ram, but it's PCI-E and even SAS. CDW lists it for $155.
> That would be cheaper than buying a new board with a PCI-X slot or two,
> and would even handle SAS drives. Claims to be based on the "LSISAS 1068E
> SAS controller". Any idea if that is supported? I don't see it listed in
> the mfi man page. LSI has a Linux driver for download. That card looks
> like it would be just what I need.

Well:

./dev/mpt/mpilib/mpi_cnfg.h:#define MPI_MANUFACTPAGE_DEVID_SAS1068E
(0x0058)
./dev/mpt/mpilib/mpi_ioc.h: *  03-11-05  01.05.08  Added family code for 1068E
family.
./dev/mpt/mpilib/mpi_ioc.h:#define MPI_FW_HEADER_PID_FAMILY_106xE_SAS
(0x0004) /* 1068E, 1066E, and 1064E */

And mpt(4) has "LSI Logic AS1064, LSI Logic AS1068 (SAS/SATA)" listed as
supported.

So as far as I can tell it should be supported, assuming it truly works in
practice.

Given past history in trying to find suitable controllers I have to be
paranoid and wonder what I am missing... surely I cannot have found the
perfect controller.

Does anyone have hands-on experience?

I especially like the SAS support; particularly since I have recently noticed
the availability of low-cost 7k2rpm SAS drives.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org