zpool degraded - 'UNAVAIL cannot open' functioning drive

Hiroharu Tamaru tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Aug 7 08:51:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

At Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:33:29 +0400, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Correct, it's a FreeBSD ATA subsystem/driver problem.
>
> I tried 8.0-CURRENT on marvell's, nvida's and intel's controllers.
> Hot plug and attach/detach works on any of these controllers without
> any problems.. What i should to do to get similar problems? :)

Since the topic is here:
Can you boot up the machine with that ata HDD offline
(unplugged), and then insert it and atthach it?

On my 6.2-STABLE machine, I can detach-replace-attach ata
disks (most of the time), but only if I have that slot
active at boot time.

And yes, though I haven't come up with an absolute sequence
to reproduce it, I occasionary have the same problem that
hot replaced disks are not recognized by 'atacontrol
attach', be it the same physical disk or another.
I feel there is a 'right sequence' of atacontrol commands
(or the lack of), and some 'wrong sequences'.
The only way to reattach it then is to reboot the machine.

Thanks
--
Hiroharu Tamaru