Choppy performance.

Daniel Andersson engywook at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 12:01:42 UTC 2008

>How do you calculate totall memory use in top? Real memory use is present
>in "RES" column but not in "SIZE" column.
>
>################################
>PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 >1215           engy        1  99    0  2085M   139M zfs:(&  49:32
 >19.53%      rtorrent

Well, I checked memory usage in rtorrent and it said it was
higher than 2GB(total physical RAM) then used top to read the swap line:

Swap: 1024M Total, 39M Used, 985M Free, 3% Inuse

But if it isn't really using that much memory how come I get
memory allocation errors in rtorrent if there's more memory
avaliable?

Cheers,
Daniel