Choppy performance.

Daniel Andersson engywook at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:42:30 UTC 2008

>Turning off prefetch improved my workload (I play video from it for

> >ex, no more skiped frames)
> Okay, I'll try it. Guess I'll have to reboot..=D

> >raidz isn't mirroring, that would be the mirror option.
> >You loose one disk's storage for parity when you use raidz, and since
> >you only added 2 disks to that raidz you lose 50% of your storage
> >space. It has the appearance of mirroring but in fact it's not.
> >Your choice of a raidz was wrong for what you really needed and you
> >have to destroy the raidz pool to be able to change it.

I suspected it was something like that, for the lack of a better
word I used mirroring. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

>Instead of using:
> >zpool create yourpoolname raidz disk1 disk2
> >use:
> >zpool create yourpoolname disk1 disk2

Okay, I'll try that. I guess I was a little too eager to try out ZFS
and didn't read up properly. =P

>Ruslan Wrote:
> I have the same problem - rtorrent to hang temporarily during high load.
>Today I installed additional 2 GB RAM and now I have 4Gb. With this
>configuration hanging is more less but still exist (during ZFS upload data
>pool and swap use>0).
>Seems, If swap not used (=0) then no any hanging.
>So, More RAM - more beter.

Okay. My server box's mobo only has two slots for RAM.=(
A curious thing happened today with rtorrent. I had set
rtorrent so that it couldn't use more than 3072MB of ram.
(2048MB RAM + swap). rtorrent said it was using 2800MB
but when I checked with top the swap wasn't in use at all?