A little help understanding UFS

Joshua Piccari jpiccari at bblocked.org
Wed Apr 16 03:48:55 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have been using FreeBSD since about 8th grade, and have worked my way from
the outer edge of shell scripting to now a growing interest in the kernel
and kernel modules.

I am looking into modifying the sources for the UFS module. I would really
like to prevent users from being able to view files that they do not have
permission to read. I have been googling as much as I can, but I can't find
the info I'm looking for.

>From starring at the source for a good two hours, I was able to figure out
how to mod ufs_lookup.c to make the OS act like a file doesn't exist... but
this isn't the intended result... I have been looking at ufs_readdir() and
was wondering if A) this function can help me successfully hide files that a
user doesn't have read permissions to, and B) if this is the function to go
after, can someone help me understand this function?

thanks in advance.

--
~ joshua