ZFS deadlock

Ender ender at enderzone.com
Tue Apr 8 16:26:30 UTC 2008

Spike Ilacqua wrote:
>> Depending on  your work load you are just buying more time, so
>> "reasonable" is a matter of perspective. :(  I didn't see if you said
>> you are on 32bit or 64bit? Keep in mind the kmem max is 1.5-2G on
>> amd64 regardless of how much memory you have. If 512M arcsize crashes
>> too soon for your tastes you can always lower it down to 256M, or
>> 128M, etc.
>
> I tried for several weeks to get ZFS stable on a 64bit system with a
> 1.5G kernel.  The best uptime I ever got was 72 hours, the worst was
> 2, the average about 24.  Interestingly, most of the hangs were at off
> hours, when the system was lightly loaded, had lots of free memory,
> etc.  That suggests to me a slow leak of some sort.
>
> Anyway, ZFS is not ready for production.  Some people may get lucky,
> but  you can't count on it.
>
> Spike
Very intresting. With 1.5G of kmem and a 64M arc_max the best uptime I
had was 5 days, worst 1 day. Also most of my crashes are off hours as
well. Another tidbit of information running things out of /tank instead
of  /tank/foo/bar/foo seems to lead to longer uptime, you might want to
try that as well.