ZFS hangs very often

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Mon Apr 7 08:57:58 UTC 2008

On 2008.04.07. 10:51, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Mon, 31.03.2008 at 05:15:14 +0000, Attila Nagy wrote:
>
>> On 2008.03.31. 15:57, Attila Nagy wrote:
>>
>>> My system completely locks up, I can't start new processes, but
>>> runnings ones -which don't do IO- can continue (for example a top).
>>> I don't know ZFS internals (BTW, /usr and others are of course
>>> different ZFS filesystems on the pool), but it might be, that
>>> something major gets locked and that's why it stops here.
>>>
>>> Anyways, if somebody can help to back this out, I'm here to try
>>> patches, or do experiments.
>>>
>> I forgot to tell -I don't know, maybe it's important-, that I have an
>> SMP box (but tried with UP kernel, the effect is the same) and
>> compression is enabled on every filesystems.
>>
> I had frequent deadlocks as you just describe when using GMIRROR on SMP
> systems and running with PREEMPTION.
>
> Could you try a kernel without PREEMPTION? Or perhaps break the GMIRRORs
> for testing purposes?

I've had the same effect with UP, and besides swapping, I don't use the
gmirror-ed partitions too much (it only holds swap and /, everything
else is on ZFS, even /usr, /tmp, /var and others). Also, when the
machine stops, processes get stuck in ZFS related states.
But I will try (as far as I can remember, I've already did, but I will
re-check).