ZFS hangs very often

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Apr 3 11:14:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 03:57:42PM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
> On 2008.03.31. 15:22, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> >On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:51:07 +0200
> >Attila Nagy <bra at fsn.hu> wrote:
> My system completely locks up, I can't start new processes, but runnings
> ones -which don't do IO- can continue (for example a top).
> I don't know ZFS internals (BTW, /usr and others are of course different
> ZFS filesystems on the pool), but it might be, that something major gets
> locked and that's why it stops here.

You can renice and kill a process using top.
So if you have a running top you can still test this.
I've seen this kind of hangs as well, but since updating to current from
15th march it never happened again, but I'm not aware of any commit that
might have fixed it, so in the end it just might be luck.
I didn't investigate the problem very much, because I have had several
Timeout problems with drives that run fine after adding further drives,
which turned out to be a insuffcient power supply and everytime I accessed
the second pool at the same time I went into troubles with the drives on
the first pool.
SATA drives seem to be to crappy to tell why they fail :(

> ps: -CURRENT from around a month/half months ago still have this problem.

Not for me it seems, but as said above, it may be luck.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de