New option for newfs(3) to make life with GEOM easier

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Sat Sep 1 05:16:11 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 10:39:33AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20070901093035.GA18069 at harmless.hu>, Gergely CZUCZY writes:
>
> >Though for this, geom class manuals should mention how much
> >space do they need for the metadata at the end. Or to simplify
> >thing an option for like "reserve some space for (gmirror|gstripe|gfoobar)"
> >should be introduced. Or specifing the module and newfs could "ask"
> >the geom class for its metadata size that should be reserved.
> >Just thinking, sorry if it was too wild...
>
> THe original intent was that you would stick the geom class there
> first, then make the filesystem.  Doing things in the other order
> is asking for trouble.

It can be trickier than putting the geom class there first, but if
the requirements of the geom class are well documented, as in the
gmirror case, there should be nothing wrong with the trick, granting
one knows what he's doing.  After all, we aren't a commercial vendor
trying to hide all dangerous things from the customer to make support
easier. :-) Or am I missing some particular point about geom?

--
Yar