comparing two filesystems with different newfs values ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 22:15:40 PDT 2007

system A has these three partitions that I created in
sysinstall, using the default sysinstall newfs values:

/dev/aacd0s1e  465759710  434158260   3655868    99%
 /mount1
/dev/aacd1s1d 1891513834 1746678920  31344084    98%
 /mount2
/dev/aacd2s1d 2030137706 1801943816 228193890    89%
 /mount3

So, doing the math, the total space used of the three
filesystems is:  3982780996

(roughly 4 TB)

I just created a new filesystem on system B, where I
used newfs on raw disk to create a SINGLE large >2TB
partition.  The newfs command I used was:

newfs -i 32768 -U /dev/aacd1

I then used rsync to transfer ALL of the data from the
old system to the new system.  Now that I am done, and
I have re-run rsync several times to be sure that all
of the data is in place on the new system, the space
used on the new system is:

3552249780

That's a difference of almost .5 TB ... and
furthermore, I would think having less dense inodes
would actually _increase_ the effective space that all
those files take up, not _decrease_ it ...

So is this expected ?  Does it have something to do
with moving the data from three partitions to one ?

The bottom line is, I want to be SURE that all of the
data is transferred before I scrap system A ... rsync
is telling me all the data is there, because when I
re-run it, nothing new gets transferred ... but I
really want to "prove" it by looking at the total file
size ... and I can't seem to do that currently.

Comments or suggestions ?