Strange filesystem related console output

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Nov 29 10:25:12 PST 2007

# uname -a
FreeBSD services.tcbug.org 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Wed Oct 17
18:54:12 UTC 2007     root at services.tcbug.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVICES
amd64

Yesterday, after many moons of reliable service I awoke to find this box had
spontaniously rebooted during the night.  It's a core2quad that doesn't do
any one particular thing, but by virtue of all the stuff running on it it
stays pretty busy....half dozen jails, mailserver, webserver, pgsql, mysql,
occassional build machine so on and so forth.  When I tried to build a
package with it it rebooted again about 30 seconds in to the compile....I
checked cpu temps, booted a live cd with the hard drive diagnostics, ran
memtest....hardware looks fine, which doesn't mean much of course.

Anyways, I brought the box back up, and it immediately goes in to bg_fsck +
gmirror rebuild contention....I try building a package again, and it
immediately reboots.

So I boot it in single user, set the bgfsck_delay to 12 hours and then bring
it back up multiuser.  It starts syncing the gmirror, I build my packages,
box works fine the rest of the day.....about 12 hours later the fsck starts,
and about 20 minutes in to it I get this spammed to the console....

fsync: giving up on dirty
0xffffff00614975d0: tag devfs, type VCHR
  usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 1755 mountedhere 0xffffff0005f4c000
  flags ()
  v_object 0xffffff00618541c0 ref 0 pages 42464
  lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xffffff004facb720 (pid 77517)
      dev mirror/gm0s1f

I kept waiting for a panic or another reboot, but it never came.....today the
box appears to be back in action.

I can't help but think this console message is somehow related to the reboots,
but no idea what really happened here.

Any insight apprectiated.....more diagnostic info is always available upon
request.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB