Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

Richard Noorlandt lists.freebsd at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:04:58 UTC 2007

2007/5/25, Jan Mikkelsen <janm at transactionware.com>:

> You can use the Areca controller to create separate devices/LUNs,and then
> ignore fdisk/gpt/labels altogether for the large filesystem you want to
> grow, and just stick the filesystem directly on /dev/da1, or whatever it
> ends up being.

I have now tried this out by making 2 devices on the RAID array, and
sticking the filesystems directly on /dev/da2 and /dev/da3 worked fine.
Next, I have grown the /dev/da3 device on the RAID controller to over 2 TB.
However, growfs refuses to grow. I get the following output:

leviathan# growfs /dev/da3
growfs: we are not growing (415143936->25134976)

Why doesn't it want to grow? And more importantly, how can I fix it.

Regards,

Richard