VERY frustrated with FreeBSD/UFS stability - please help or comment...

Cristian KLEIN cristi at net.utcluj.ro
Fri May 25 08:19:02 UTC 2007

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Dag-Erling Smørgrav:
>> client2% rsync --archive --delete /vol server:/backup/client2
>> server% for vol in /backup/* ; do mksnap_ffs $vol $vol/.snap/`date` ; done
>
> My experience with the sysutils/freebsd-snapshot, which enable automatic
> snapshot creation (à la NetApp) is that after a few created snapshots, the
> whole system just locks up.  This was in 6.0-6.1 days, maybe 6.2 has
> improved but they seem very fragile :(

Nope. They did not. :)

I had a server which crashed a few hours after enabling snapshots. Now
that I removed them, the system is rock solid again.

I have been unable to reproduce the problem (interesting how some
problems show up only on production systems), so I was unable to file a PR.

IMHO, all these issues should be written in the errata. I can affort not
using snapshot, but having an instable system (and an angry boss) is
killing me.