softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue May 22 04:53:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 07:12:01PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Attila Nagy, and lo! it spake thus:

> The modify process is like this:
> #mount -o rw -u /nfs
> [modify content]
> #mount -o ro -u /nfs
> [rsync /data/nfsimg to the other machines]
>
> This has worked like a charm until now. Since I've upgraded the OS to
> RELENG_6 as of today, I get the following
> line into the syslog everytime I modify something on /nfs and want to do
> a read only remount:
> softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xffffff0054e00630
> and the remount command (mount -o ro -u /nfs) fails with:
> mount: /dev/md0: Device busy

You'll find you can't umount it either.

I've been experiencing this for a while on -CURRENT.  I didn't manage
to get any interest on the current@ list.  See the thread at
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-February/069178.html>
with a script to reproduce it on a md filesystem.  Still experienced
after my last upgrade in March
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-March/069865.html>).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net