Recovering a badly broken disk

Fernando Schapachnik fernando at schapachnik.com.ar
Sat May 19 00:54:56 UTC 2007

Hi,
	Please excuse if this is out of topic, but I guess is too
specific for -questions.

	A disk with valuable data broke. The system used to perform
backups in a BSD partition on the same disk. Among other things, the
first sectors were damaged and a professional data recovery shop was
able to recover an image of the remaining disk.

	I fdisk'ed as it was originally, then ran scan_ffs, which
was able to found my backup partition, in mountable state.

	I tried to copy the ~170 MB backup tbz files to another
place, but after ~70MB the kernel gives ICRC errors and the copying
stops. The data recovery shop is not able to extract a better image,
so my last chance is to skip the sectors with bad CRC and try
bzip2recover.  Unluckily, both cp and bzip2 abort on reading the
faulty part.

	Any ideas on how to skip the faulty part and copy as much as
possible? The partition in question is plain UFS1 on an ATA 80 GB
disk.

	Thanks for any help.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
fernando at schapachnik.com.ar