ZFS: amd64, devd, root file system.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu May 17 16:40:06 UTC 2007

Darren Reed <darrenr at freebsd.org> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > Remember that unlike Sun, we do not make the hardware our OS runs on,
> > nor do we write the firmware for it.
> Do you see my email address as being "@sun.com"?

No, but ZFS comes from Sun, and Solaris is the only OS that can
currently boot from ZFS; therefore the comparison is germane.

My point is that it is a lot more difficult for us to implement ZFS
support in an OS that is intended to run on everything and the kitchen
sink, from the crappiest 486 to the latest quad-core Xeon, with all
kinds of crappy disk controllers, than it is for Sun to do the same in
Solaris, which mostly runs on hardware designed and manufactured by Sun
for the specific purpose of running Solaris.

> I really don't understand why you needed to be so inflamatory with
> your email,

I'm not being inflammatory.  I am just pointing out that we have limited
resources and what you ask for is a lot of work - more than you probably
realize - for little real benefit.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no