Sun Fire X4500, FreeBSD and ZFS

Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt kvs at pil.dk
Fri May 4 16:26:17 UTC 2007

Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> All in all, a fun little toy :)
>
> If it's just a little toy for your, maybe you want to replace it with my
> teddy bear?:)

Is your teddy bear rack-mountable, and does it have a dedicated
management processor? If so, we'll talk :)

> Great to hear that this beast works with FreeBSD!! Any chance we can
> trick you into performance comparsion between Solaris/ZFS and
> FreeBSD/ZFS?:)

At the very least, we want to do some heavy testing with FreeBSD. If we
get the time, it would be fun to contrast them to Solaris. It does
require that I reinstall Solaris, though :)

How would you go about tweaking the machine for maximum efficiency? We
have around 13 GB RAM free at the moment, just sitting doing nothing,
and that might just as well be used for caching.

--
Kenneth Schmidt