TDFS ... or other distributed file system technologies for FreeBSD?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Tue Mar 27 18:11:01 UTC 2007

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 'k ... now, you have a 'proof-of-concept' already, using FUSE ... how much more
> would be involved in the kernel module?

Much more. Currently, I know only the very basics of the VFS system.

> I'm just wondering if it would be time better spent polishing off the FUSE
> implementation and pushing that for now, get ppl deploying it, testing it, etc
> ... and then work on the 'performance enhanced kernel module'?

If time to deployment is in question, TDFS is the way to go, and this
would be what I prefer. Another idea of mine for this is that maybe they
could be made compatible in the network protocol... lots of ideas,
little time.

> Then again, from the other side of the coin ... what are the chances that a
> kernel module would get into the main stream distribution vs the FUSE module?

Since FUSE is (L)GPL'ed, chances of getting it into base are slim. Then
there's the question of who would be responsible for it, since the
developer of the FUSE BSD module was also a SoC student and I don't know
if he's interested in maintaining it that way - I'll go ask him.

> As a stop-gap, have you considered submitting a TDFS port, to give it a bit
> more profile?

That is a good idea, I'll try to do it soon. (though it's not
complicated to compile & try it by hand).