zfs_20070303.patch on current

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Mar 13 15:57:15 UTC 2007

Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:42:11PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> > Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > > We don't have to mount /boot to read from it. The loader reads directly
> > > from boot partition, so bascially we could make /dev/ad0s1a a small UFS
> > > partition that contains the kernel, zfs kernel module and /etc/fstab
> > > and it should work. Note that we currently allow for encrypting root
> > > file system the same way with geli(8).
> > Yeah, but it makes 'make installkernel' a bit non-obvious.
> You can still always mount /boot/ from /etc/fstab, I think...

Your boot filesystem needs to have roughly the following layout:

/boot.config
/boot/beastie.4th
/boot/device.hints
/boot/frames.4th
/boot/kernel/kernel
/boot/kernel/zfs.ko
/boot/loader
/boot/loader.4th
/boot/loader.conf
/boot/loader.rc
/boot/screen.4th
/boot/support.4th
/etc/fstab

You can't mount that somewhere and have it "just work" - you'll need
to mount it somewhere out of the way and have symlinks in your root
directory.  Not very convenient.  Easier to just use UFS on your root
filesystem, and use ZFS where it can make a difference (/var,
/usr/local, /home etc)

Your average root filesystem is small and fairly quiet, so the chances
of something going wrong are low and it only takes an instant to fsck.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no