ZFS port to FreeBSD: 2nd patchset available.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 4 12:39:26 UTC 2007

Hi.

I'd like to announce availability of the second ZFS patchset for FreeBSD.
And the begining I'd like to thank everyone who reported problems or
success stories. This is very important, because:
1. Seeing people interested in ZFS for FreeBSD gives me great motivation
   to spend more time on coding. It is much appreciated!
2. I'm not able to test everything by myself.

List of changes against the 1st patchset:
- Full NFS support including automatic snapshots export and zfs(1)
  control. Don't forget to run mountd(8) with two exports files:
  /etc/exports and /etc/zfs/exports.
- Missing atomic operations were taken from OpenSolaris, which
  eliminates global mutex protection. This improves performance a bit.
- Added various sysctls to vfs.zfs tree.
- Implemented kstat functionality from OpenSolaris based on our sysctls.
  Try 'sysctl kstat'.
- ztest, zdb and libzpool are now compilable again and work.
- Access protection cleanups. ZFS pass all fstest regression tests
  (available in HEAD under src/tools/regression/fstest/). It doesn't use
  suser(9) anymore, only priv(9) KPI.
- Fixed bug preventing ZFS file systems mount via:
	# mount -t zfs name /mountpoint
- Fixed orphan event handling in vdev_geom.
- Added BIO_FLUSH support for ZVOL providers.
- Many, many other bug fixes and cleanups.

The patch is available at:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_20070303.patch.bz2

To apply and compile the patch, enter your src directory and:

	# patch -p0 < /path/to/zfs_20070303.patch
	# make kernel   <-- compiles and install patched kernel and
	                    zfs module
	# cd cddl
	# make && make install   <-- compiles and install userland
	                             utilities and libraries

Please report any problems ('it works without problems!' is nice too).

Good luck.