Snapshot usage guidelines (to avoid stability issues)

Espen Skoglund esk at ira.uka.de
Wed Jun 20 19:36:37 UTC 2007

[Kostik Belousov]
>> Looking at PRs and mailing lists there seems to be mainly two
>> outstanding stability issues with snapshots: a) snapshotted fs
>> running full, and b) deleting large amount of files on an fs with
>> multiple snapshots.  The former issue, while certainly annoying,
>> one could be able to work around.  The latter issue, on the other
>> hand, seems more like a definite show stopper.
>>
>> Am I right in inferring that the two above cases are main issues
>> with snaphots at this time, or are there other known gotchas that I
>> have to look out for.

> About the issue b). Are you system sources before or after
> 2007-06-11 10:53:48 UTC ? Or simply show me the version of
> sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_snapshot.c.

> If it is less then 1.103.2.24, see developers handbook for
> instruction on reporting deadlocks.

Ok.  Thanks.  Looking at the CVS logs after the hangup I wasn't sure
whether the last commits addressed any of my problems.  My kernel was
from June 9, so I just missed the update you refer to.

Unfortunately I didn't have any debug options turned on in my kernel.
Also, I wasn't able to log into the system in any way so there was not
much information I could gather.  Will try the update once I find a
suitable time that doesn't mess up my/our work schedule.  If the
update does indeed solve problem (b) then I can actually make use of
snapshots.  Huzzah!

	eSk