tunefs question

Richard Noorlandt lists.freebsd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 22:30:07 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reactions. They cleared up quite a bit, and my conclusion is
that tweaking the FS isn't a very good idea. They're defaults for a reason,
although I still have some doubts about the appropriateness of the defaults
for large filesystems. Large filesystems don't seem to be very well
supported at the moment. I hope (and believe) ZFS will settle this. It
sounds promising :-) Unfortunately I don't think it's stable enough at the
moment.

2007/6/7, Rick C. Petty <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com>:

> If you know the precise files (i.e. total number of files + number of
> directories --> number of inodes, average filesize --> inode density),
> this
> helps you speeze more space without sacrificing anything.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. How do you exactly
determine the number of inodes needed?

And when you change the number of inodes at filesystem creation, what effect
will it have when you run growfs later on? Will it expand the filesystem
with an equal inode density, or is it expanded with the default density?

Regards,

Richard