Cannot mount Sony Ericsson mobile phone, msdosfs too restrictive?

Dennis Melentyev dennis.melentyev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:30:58 UTC 2007

Hi!

2007/7/2, Raaf <raaf at zen.mooo.com>:
> Brian Chu wrote:
> > Raaf,
> >
> > What's the size of the memory stick?  Is it 32MB like Dennis has?
It was 64MB card also. :)
AFAIR, FAT12 is just not correct format for disks larger than 32Mb.
It has to use clusters not handled by original MSDOS in this case.

So, my answer is: SE just use wrong FAT.

But, meanwile, it should be ok to allow this insanity be handled.
Despite I'd rather use smaller clusters for such a tiny drive.

> It's a 64MB memory stick using FAT12.

MSDOS 3.3 will go crazy with that :)

> > The check for the field that affected you isn't critical to msdosfs'
> > operation, but the field itself is specified to be non-zero.
> > Konstantin, is it alright to remove this field?
> >

> It seems there are more people having problems with the sanity checking
> code of msdosfs, see also this related pr:

Dennis Melentyev