gmirror disks vs partitions

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Fri Jan 19 05:58:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:15:56 +0900
"Adrian Chadd" <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 17/01/07, Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > [...after reading the slashdotter's piece of wisdom...]
> >
> > Yes, but that's the kind of functionality I have always
> > expected to be present in software raid solutions. I
> > hope I'll live to see this implemented in geom.
>
> That made my eyes bleed.
>
> Bring on ZFS and its method of managing JBODs.

I second that. I have been way less than impressed with software raid
and LVM on linux.

I have all ways found not mirroring partitions to be way better. It
makes it way easier to repair the damn thing do fewer steps.

When ZFS comes available, I plan to actually run it across multiple
mirrors. It has built in JBOD, but it does not do mirroring. It just
does stripping.