UFS2 with SAN

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 15 04:41:51 UTC 2007

On 02/14/07 19:22, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:09:49AM +0100, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, no PAE or nvidia. But SMP.
>
> I don't think SMP would do it, although it's possible.  I just noticed that
> even though the 5.5 machines I found were using an SMP kernel, hw.ncpu=1
> for them all.
>
>> %uname -a
>> FreeBSD kerb.infotropic.com 5.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Oct 28
>> 01:12:00 CEST 2006
>
> More probable is that there were 5.5 bugs which were fixed by 5.5-p8.
> Maybe you want to give that a try?  I will certainly ask around here if
> anyone had to do anything special to get things to work.
>
>> It took some time, and maybe the cache managed to fill up. But still thats
>> a scenario that could happen in real life...
>
> Sure, but maybe arla doesn't handle that case well.  I know that arla had
> some various bugs in the past; without a more detailed message, I can't say
> for sure what happened.
>
> I certainly hope someone can futz around with getting arla to work with the
> post-nerfed VFS changes in 6.x.  Maybe that same person would be willing to
> help me get HFS+ working too.  I gave up on both these projects because the
> APIs kept shifting while I was trying to get them to work, and I just don't
> have the time to relearn everything and familiarize myself with the new
> locking mechanisms.

How about gathering all the information into a single spot on the web
somewhere, with the old patches, ports, etc, along with whatever someone
non-arla aware would need to know (cheat sheets?) to get into the hard
work as quickly as possible?  I know next to nothing about arla, but if
the cheat sheets were there so I didn't have to spend a ton of time on
learning arla completely before looking at it, it would make tinkering a
lot easier.

Start a new thread on HFS+ if you need to.  :)

Eric