UFS2 with SAN

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Thu Feb 15 01:09:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:52:51AM +0100, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> DragonFly support is most likely fading away, AFAIK nobody's testing
>>> it. arla-0.43 (and arla-0-44-branch) should work on FreeBSD 5, let us know
>>> if there are any issues with that.
>>>
>> Hmm i managed to crash my system by doing an "ls -R" in /afs/something on
>> FreeBSD 5.5.
>
> Hmm, works fine here.  Are you on an SMP system?  PAE enabled?  nvidia
> driver?  I'm not sure what else to ask.

Hmm, no PAE or nvidia. But SMP.
An rather old machine just for testing:

CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (332.80-MHz 686-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x651  Stepping = 1

Features=0x183fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT
,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
real memory  = 671088640 (640 MB)
avail memory = 647073792 (617 MB)
MPTable: <COMPAQ   PROLIANT    >

%uname -a
FreeBSD kerb.infotropic.com 5.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Oct 28
01:12:00 CEST 2006

>> My experience above with "ls -R" was also on 5.5 running arla-0.43.
>
> Granted, I didn't wait until the ls completed, cuz that would take too
> long.  Maybe your cache was full?  I'm not the arla expert here (obviously).

It took some time, and maybe the cache managed to fill up. But still thats
a scenario that could happen in real life...

 	/Chris